Montana Fly Fishing Recommendations
Montana is where Dirty Water Fly Co was born and is where many of our favorite outfitters are based. It is home to many of the finest wild trout rivers on Earth and is not comparable in that regard in any other state in the lower 48. These businesses are listed here because they offer top notch outfitting, proper accomadations, and are wonderful people to be around. There are many great outfitting operations in Montana. We suggest these in particular as they are capable of many different rivers and give guests the best opportunity to experience the trip of a lifetime thanks to them striving to put in the extra effort to make that happen no matter what conditions are encountered.
Thousands of days on the water with many great guides and outfitters have given us a great understanding of the different fisheries in the Treasure State. Please check out some of our favorites and know that they are all true professionals and worthy of fishing trip. We do not take commissions and these are solely based on experience.
Missoula - The Grizzly Hackle
The Grizzly Hackle sits in downtown Missoula about 100 yards from the Clark Fork. The staff in the shop is one of the best in the business and their guide staff is loaded with the best that Western Montana has to offer. The Dry Fly Apartments upstairs are wonderful, and we suggest this destination for folks looking to both have wonderful fishing and a great culture and nightlife when off the water.
- The fly shop at Grizzly Hackle is fully stocked with the best gear in the industry and top notch fly selection
- A stones throw from the Clark Fork, the Bitteroot in a few minutes away and Rock Creek is just up the road.
- Missoula area rivers offer arugably the best and most consistent shoulder season fishing in Montana, dry flies in particular.
- One of the best guide staffs in the north Rockies
Madison Valley - Slide Inn
The Slide Inn is located on the banks of the Madison just below Quake Lake and directly adjacent to the finest big river wade fishery in the country. We suggest both their guide service and also this location for DIY'ers who would like a variety options nearby. The Madison has a number of different sections including three lakes and is one of the most consistent fisheries in the US.
- World class fly shop with excellent staff, top notch gear, extensive fly tying department, and enough snacks and beer to keep you fishing.
- Riverside cabins of all sorts from singles to larger units and everything in between including RV sites.
- Guides are excited to fish a handful of rivers, not just the Madison.
West Yellowstone & Southeast Idaho - Big Sky Anglers